Milo

If you haven't noticed from my other social media accounts, I became a pet parent to a rambunctious kitten in September. Here's the story of how I adopted him.
I had been thinking about getting a cat for about 6 months before I decided to do so. Another native English teacher gave me a link to a pet adoption website here in Korea and I spent some time going through it.
Almost immediately I found Milo (originally Papyrus). He was a fuzzy, white ball of fluff (5 months old) and his owner described him as mischevious but a sweetheart, which is exactly his temperament. His owner used to own a cat cafe which is very popular in Asia but had to close the cafe and could not continue to care for all the cats.
I emailed the owner and she replied two days later saying she lived in Chuncheon (about 2 1/2 hours north of Taebaek) and would be willing to deliver him to me. I agreed and waited to hear when she would be able to deliver him to me. I waited for about a week and heard nothing back from her. I started to assume that she had changed her mind upon hearing that I lived in Taebaek and did not want to drive up the mountain.
That weekend while I was in Seoul, I received an email that she would be bringing him on Monday. A bit of panic ensued as I had restrained myself from buying any cat items in case she backed out of the adoption.
I took the next bus home (which also happened to get into an accident, my first in Korea, but no one was hurt) and ran to the pet store to get everything I need.
At the same time, I was also having difficulties with water pouring down from my ceiling in the bathroom. My landlord happened to be coming on Monday at the same time the lady was to deliver the cat. The bathroom problem turned out to be from the washing machine from the apartment above not having their hose connected properly. I told my landlord  I thought it was a washing machine originally but it took him a while to figure it out. Anyways, the timing was bad.
The lady arrived in Taebaek just as my landlord arrived at my apartment and I had not told him about getting a cat. I was worried that he would say no after the lady had already arrived with my kitten. However, he finished inspecting my bathroom quickly and left before any meeting could take place. I ended up telling my landlord later and he was totally cool with me having a cat. Much better than a noisy dog apparently.
Unfortunately, the address I had given the lady had sent her to an apartment complex 20 minutes away from where I was after I spent 20 minutes searching around my complex for her car. It took another 40 minutes before she could find my place.
Luckily for me, Michelle was a very sweet woman and did not show any anger at taking an extra hour to find my place.  She was an American woman who had married a Korean man in America and they had moved to Korea after the recession in America.  I could tell she loved her cats but could not afford to keep them without the cafe.



So I ended up with a beautiful Siberian-Munchkin kitten who is as cuddly as he is mischievous.  It took him a few days to come out from under my bed but now I cannot move without him being at my side. It's amazing how fast you fall in love with your pets.
Milo enjoys hiding under the chairs and grabbing my ankles as I walk by, chewing on my plants and spending many hours purring, curled up on me or beside me. I cannot imagine my home without him now.

Comments

Popular Posts