My K-Drama Romance: The Beginning
This story starts around this time last year. I was in Seoul for a weekend by myself to enjoy some shopping and different food. I was on the green line subway heading to Hapjeong to drop my stuff off at my guesthouse.
The train was becoming crowded which is not unusual in Seoul. I was standing next to the car door since there were no seats available. The train stopped and I noticed a cute Korean guy waiting to enter the car from the other side. As he entered, he caught my eye and smiled at me and I smiled in return. He stood next to me on the crowded train. He was texting someone on his phone and I managed a peek and noticed he was texting in English. I was surprised but not wanting to be rude, I looked away.
Just then the train lurched and I stumbled forward. He caught my coat and steadied me. He looked at me and asked, "Where are you from?"
We started talking and had a polite conversation about where I was from and his studying at university. It was getting close to his stop when he asked for my Kakao and if I was free for dinner that night. I gave him my number and hesitated about the dinner but decided I had nothing better to do so why not?
Later that day we met near Hapjeong and went to a curry place. We had a pleasant conversation and I thought he was cute but maybe a little young for me. We had just finished eating when he got a call. He excused himself and took the call. A few minutes later, he came back and said that he was sorry but he had to leave right away. We each paid for our own dinner and left. I didn't expect much after that, maybe just another casual friend in Korea.
River (not his real name), texted me shortly after to tell me that his grandmother had become ill and was in the hospital thus his hasty exit. He was going to stay with her while she recovered since it was winter break for university and he had the free time.
I returned to Taebaek and back to desk warming as it was also winter break for me. We texted continuously throughout the next few days as neither of us had anything else to do. As we talked, more and more I began to realize he was extremely intelligent, kind and very generous. I also realized I really wanted to meet him again.
Later that week, his grandmother was released from the hospital and he no longer had to care for her. I decided to go back to Seoul that weekend and meet him again. Our first official date was in Hapjeong again and had, as we discovered, our mutually favourite Korean dish stir-fried chicken ribs (Dak Galbi or 닭갈비). This time the night was all ours, no interruptions. We went to a rock music bar, and then a salsa club, where we had our first kiss. We laughed so much together our stomachs hurt and River was begging for mercy. We connected in a way neither of us had experienced before. In the wee hours of the morning, we stopped in a cafe. We were both giddy with laughter and alcohol and he showed me a text he had sent to his friend. "I really like this girl and I think she likes me" it read. That was the start of our relationship.
The train was becoming crowded which is not unusual in Seoul. I was standing next to the car door since there were no seats available. The train stopped and I noticed a cute Korean guy waiting to enter the car from the other side. As he entered, he caught my eye and smiled at me and I smiled in return. He stood next to me on the crowded train. He was texting someone on his phone and I managed a peek and noticed he was texting in English. I was surprised but not wanting to be rude, I looked away.
Just then the train lurched and I stumbled forward. He caught my coat and steadied me. He looked at me and asked, "Where are you from?"
We started talking and had a polite conversation about where I was from and his studying at university. It was getting close to his stop when he asked for my Kakao and if I was free for dinner that night. I gave him my number and hesitated about the dinner but decided I had nothing better to do so why not?
Later that day we met near Hapjeong and went to a curry place. We had a pleasant conversation and I thought he was cute but maybe a little young for me. We had just finished eating when he got a call. He excused himself and took the call. A few minutes later, he came back and said that he was sorry but he had to leave right away. We each paid for our own dinner and left. I didn't expect much after that, maybe just another casual friend in Korea.
River (not his real name), texted me shortly after to tell me that his grandmother had become ill and was in the hospital thus his hasty exit. He was going to stay with her while she recovered since it was winter break for university and he had the free time.
I returned to Taebaek and back to desk warming as it was also winter break for me. We texted continuously throughout the next few days as neither of us had anything else to do. As we talked, more and more I began to realize he was extremely intelligent, kind and very generous. I also realized I really wanted to meet him again.
Later that week, his grandmother was released from the hospital and he no longer had to care for her. I decided to go back to Seoul that weekend and meet him again. Our first official date was in Hapjeong again and had, as we discovered, our mutually favourite Korean dish stir-fried chicken ribs (Dak Galbi or 닭갈비). This time the night was all ours, no interruptions. We went to a rock music bar, and then a salsa club, where we had our first kiss. We laughed so much together our stomachs hurt and River was begging for mercy. We connected in a way neither of us had experienced before. In the wee hours of the morning, we stopped in a cafe. We were both giddy with laughter and alcohol and he showed me a text he had sent to his friend. "I really like this girl and I think she likes me" it read. That was the start of our relationship.


Comments
Post a Comment