My K-Drama Romance: Changes

It was the beginning of fall and like the changing leaves, I began to feel something changing in River. At first, it was almost imperceptible, just small things I would notice but then rationalize in my head. He would take longer to answer my texts or not answer my calls right away. But when we were together it was perfect and my worries would disappear. But like the leaves, things were changing.
There was a rare very long holiday in October. In Korea, there is a holiday called Chuseok which is similar to Thanksgiving in North America. It so happened that the way that the days lined up that year allowed everyone to have ten days off. It so happened that one of my best friends from Canada wanted to visit me and this turned out to be a perfect time.
I thought it would also be a great opportunity for her to meet my boyfriend.  We had a few days in Seoul and I had asked before she arrived if River could meet us and show us some places in Seoul. He agreed and seemed enthusiastic to meet my friend at the time.
But when the day arrived to hang out he wouldn't answer my texts and when he finally did an hour after he was supposed to meet and said he was sick and couldn't make it, I knew something was wrong. He finally did meet up with us the next day but he was not his usual self and I could feel the distance. He told me he wanted to talk to me after my friend went back to Canada so we met at the bus station where I could take the bus back to my city.
In the cafe of the bus station, he told me he wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life. He wasn't sure if he wanted to go to grad school anymore and the plan we had about him coming to Canada with me in the summer was too far away for him. He would finish school in December and didn't want to wait six months to leave Korea. He was restless and confused. He had decided that while he was waiting for word about his working holiday visa in Canada, he would also apply to Australia and whichever country he heard from first, he would go there. In that crowded cafe, he decided it was best to break up with me even though he didn't know where he would be going. I tried to reason with him that we didn't know yet where he was going and that we should wait and see before breaking up. He said he loved me but he was confused. I asked him what he wanted to do. He looked down at the floor for what seemed like hours and then looked at me with such a pained expression and said, "We should break up."
He took me to my bus and I sat there looking at him out the window with tears streaming down my face. He looked up at me and then as the bus pulled away, he sat down on the bench and put his head in hands. I thought that would be the last time I would see him.

Comments

Popular Posts