First Day Teaching!

Today was my first day teaching, and if every day goes like this one . . . I'm going to love it!
I have to say first of all how fabulous my co-teachers are. I really, really lucked out. Hearing horror stories from other people about how their co-teachers could care less about them and do not help them in the class at all or in general makes me appreciate the wonderful co-teachers I have. 
Not only do they keep the class under control and translate when needed but they go out of their way to help me. 
Recently, I've been having issues with getting hot water in my apartment. I followed the instructions left by the previous English teacher to a T but to no avail. I let my main co-teacher know this morning that I was having issues and she came to my rescue right away. 
Hye Yeon (my main co-teacher) and Mrs. Shin (my other co-teacher) had no classes after 5th period so they took me straight to my apartment and started looking for a solution. We could not figure out what was wrong. 
Mrs. Shin called some friends to take a look and they also could not figure it out. So then Mrs. Shin called the owner of my apartment and got him to get a repair man which then was fixed. The owner, a very nice man, Mr. Hong, was a former English teacher as well and had even visited the U of A, back home. He paid for the repairs and gave me his number and to call him if I ever have problems. God has blessed me so much in the people He has placed around me in this country.
So back to my classes, the kids are down right adorable and bursting with rambunctious energy, I feel like a celebrity walking down the halls as I hear kids yelling "Hello Teacher!". This also happens as I walk down the street as well. . .  the perks of living in a small town.
I had classes with Hye Yeon and Mrs. Shin. The first two classes were with Hye Yeon, she teaches the 1st grade middle school students. The grades are labeled from 1-3 instead of 7-9 like in Canada.
Hye Yeon seems so sweet and gentle outside of the classroom but that woman has the glare down good. I guess it's a necessity when working with teenagers. She definitely helped to keep her classes in line. I would have struggled quite a bit without her.
The last class was with Mrs. Shin.She teaches 2nd grade, which is equivalent to grade 8 a.k.a the terror year. I really like this lady, she is so nice but also someone you know you would not want to mess with. This definitely comes across in her class. She rules them with an iron fist but they still love her. Two boys were late for our class and she waited at the door for them and made them do 10 squats before they were allowed in the door. Those kids did not even question when she demanded they do it. I admire her greatly, you can tell she cares deeply about these kids but will not take any guff.
I still have three other co-teachers to meet and one I still have yet to work with but have met. If they all turn out to be like my co-teachers mentioned, I'll be having an excellent year. 

Comments

Popular Posts