My new life in South Korea

I had the wifi in my apartment set up today so now I am able to keep everyone updated on what is going on with me. I wrote a lengthy email to my parents earlier in the week which I will add to this post as it summarizes most of what has been going on with me.
I sit writing this as I am about to cook my first dish of ramen noodles. Cheap and something that was left in my apartment by the previous teacher as I haven't been able to go grocery shopping yet. Don't worry I checked the dates.

This is the email that I sent my family a couple days ago.

Hi guys!
So I writing to you at my desk in my new school. I still have to get internet in my apartment. I am actually teaching at three schools. It's going to be a challenge. I teaching at a middle school. an all girls middle school and a high school. I have yet to have a class, I will be starting next week.  Right now I am just prepping which is nice that they gave me that time. Some Epik teachers had to start the day after they arrived. I am very nervous but also excited. I'm trying to let the excitement override my anxiety. I have only met three of my co-teachers but they are extremely nice and friendly. They took me out to dinner last night. I think I will enjoy working with them. My main co-teacher is Catholic and the other is a Christian, I definitely feel accepted by them.  I believe my other co-teachers will be just as nice according to the long letter than the previous English teacher left.
Oh, you are probably curious about where I am. I am in a small town called Taebaek nestled in the mountains at the very southern end of Gangwon-do. There you don't have to worry Mom, I am as far away as possible from the DMZ. You can tell Nana that.
I am meeting the other English teachers that live in Taebaek tonight. Apparently they get together regularly and one even lives in my apartment complex.
My apartment is larger than I expected but definitely older. I have a living room, small enclosed patio, a bedroom and office/bedroom, kitchen, bathroom without a separate shower. I shower near the toilet (lol). I have to figure out how long to let the water heat before I shower. I ended up having a very cold shower last night. At least it is summer and it wasn't too bad, but I don't want to do that in the winter. The water is heated by some sort of oil based boiler system. There is also a small corner off the kitchen for my washing machine. I have to figure out the Korean buttons to wash my clothes. Altogether my apartment is about the size of our sitting room and dining room combined.
It is very beautiful here and the weather is much nicer in the summer here because the mountains cool down the air especially at night. I don't have air-conditioning so this is nice. I will send pictures as soon as my internet is sorted out. Pray that I won't get too nervous teaching. I really want to do well for these students. Please forward this to anyone who is curious about how I'm doing. I'm not sure when I will be able to send something again. 



Comments

Popular Posts